I was publicly murdered by a few of you and privately by some other friends due to my lack of Sushi experience. Geez, you’re all a little sensitive about your raw fish. You will be happy to know that I soon expanded upon my Sushi-eating experience.
My Tour of Charleston continued with a couple new visits and some repeats, but first I just wanted to inform you guys that my “About” page has been updated with some new places and a few new people that will probably be sprouting up in the coming days/weeks.
1. On Saturday, a group of my friends (and some strangers) were going out to say goodbye to JF by celebrating in downtown Charleston. JF was a friend of mine from UConn who has lived down here for about three years. She is moving to San Fran to live with her boyfriend (in the military..shocker) who is now stationed there. Due to work (grumble) I was late to the gathering. I met the gang at one of my favorite places – Rooftop bar at the Market Pavilion Hotel.
It has a great view of downtown Charleston and the surrounding rivers, but on this night it was a little bit too hot out. Despite being 10 pm when I arrive, it was still a good 80+ degrees out. It was good to see CF, Swan, JKru, My Hero and Hero’s wife.
The girls wanted to go to a terrible college bar, so My Hero, his wife, JKru and I opted to go to some more lowkey locations.
Next up was Kaminsky’s, which I had never been to. It’s known as a dessert place and I could see why. Everything looked delicious, but I opted to have a couple drinks instead. The place kinda smelled musty and our “waiter” gave us our checks before we were ready to leave. A little perturbed we moved on…
TBonz was our final stop for the evening. This place is known for steak, but given the late hour it was booze only. I was quite okay with this. The folks who went to the stupid bar joined us here after they realized that the other bar is lame (go figure).
Anyway, I love when places brew their own beer, so I was pumped to discover TBonz is one of those places. I tried the Market Street Wheat, which was excellent but was soon on my way back home. I left earlier than everyone else because I had to be at work the next day. All-in-all a fun night in which I got to visit two new places!
2. I was off on Monday and Tuesday, so I was anxious to hang out with friends. On Monday I went to Wasabi (the place I got sushi from the other day) with CF, JF, and CF’s newest military guy (snicker). Actually, I like this one, but that’s besides the point.
This time around I ordered a crab roll and the spicy tuna roll, which two people suggested. The crab roll was okay, but I was really disappointed when I saw that it was imitation crab meat. LAME. The spicy tuna roll definitely lived up to its name, but I enjoyed it.
So I got some “real” sushi this time around and plan on expanding even further the next time I go.
3. That night CF and I met My Hero and his wife out at Folly Beach. We went to Snapper Jack’s which is great, chill beach bar. Despite its beach-bum-feel, it actually has some good food. I ordered the fried monteray cheese cubes and prayed it would not instantly clog my arteries. I also enjoyed a few Sam Adams Summer Ale. The night ended with us blowing a few bucks on the Naughty “What’s different between these two pictures” game. It’s naughty because boobies are involved. A great drunk game to be sure.
4. The next night GPiC and Duggs (seriously, go to the About page for descriptions) invited me to Madra Rua – an Irish Pub located in North Charleston. I had never been before, so I was excited to check it out. These guys always go here for Sunday Brunch, but I would probably frequent it for dinner and drinks. The place is extremely lowkey (at least on the weekdays) and has lots of private areas to sit, which I loved. It’s a little expensive but worth it. I didn’t get a chance to try any of the food, but it all sounded ridiculously good.
After a couple of drinks, I headed to the guys’ condo to hang with them and K-Lay. It was a quick visit but filled with tons of laughs as usual
5. My final stop on the Tour came yesterday after work. It was time to pick up Maggie (horray!) so I asked the Ex if she wanted to get some dinner with me. She had a lot of grad work to do, so we couldn’t go anywhere. Instead, I offered to pick up some food and bring it to her apt. I choose Poe’s Tavern. I won’t go into much detail because I cheated and didn’t actually sit down in the restaurant. However, seeing it made me want to get back there ASAP. More details after that occurs.
All-in-all quiet a busy few days. I probably spent more money than I should have, but I had a great time visiting a wide array of places with most of my friends.
Booze and the All-American are making separate trips down this weekend so I’m extremely excited for the debauchery that should be occurring.
Charleston Nine – Today was the two year anniversary of the fire in a furniture store that killed 9 Charleston firefighters. Although you may not even know about this issue, just take a look at the Wikipedia description for an overview. The store was only a few miles away from my first apartment and I used to see the remains of the tragedy quite frequently. The event occurred just before I moved down here so it was one of my first memories of this city and how caring/compassionate the people can be.