I just got back from a super quick trip to Queens/Long Island. I hung with Fun Bobby, the Ex mostly, but also Samsonite, and the Swan.
Highlights – White Castle, seeing Carter the Dog, Chipolte, the cheapest bar food ever and Hot Bagels.
Lowlights – The flight home which consisted of going from JFK to LaGuardia, having my flight delayed then being rerouted to Myrtle Beach because the Charleston airport closed at midnight and refused to stay open. I had to share a cab-van with four other people for the two hour ride back to Charleston.
The focal point of the visit was the dmb concert to celebrate the Ex’s birthday. It took place at Jones Beach, which gave us a chance to lay on the beach for a few hours prior to tailgating.
Tailgating was a lot of fun. We bought some food, had some beers, and just enjoyed our surroundings.
The venue itself was awesome. It’s completely open-air and the stage is surrounded by water. See it here.
The show was awesome (as always). Everyone seemed to have a great time.
1. I’ve seen three shows this year and all three have started with PNP —> Rapunzel. Weird.
2. Super Old School run with One Sweet World and then Seek Up
3. New ending to Alligator Pie
4. JIMI THING rocked. The crowd sang the first two verses before Dave finally joined back in. It’s an incredible moment when this happens. You hear thousands of people singing together while the band just plays.
4a. Dave did a little scat towards the end which was entertaining. Not to mention his crazy ass dance he did.
4b. Dave/Carter/Rashawn/Boyd busted out the Sexy MF outro (Prince song) which the crowd loved
4c. Jeff played two saxophones…at once! Rashawn was killin it too.
5. TWO STEP WAS HEAVEN. Carter had a long solo which rivaled the one I saw in Fenway. Timmy ripped it up just before Carter melted our faces. Just when I didn’t think it could get any better the band did a new closing which wrapped it up. Incredible end to the inital set. Fun Bobby’s mouth hit the floor and she cried a little. I said “Holy Shit. Wow. Holy Crap,” about five times after it ended.
6. It was definitely the Boyd show. Lots of solos and he got the crowd moving as usual.
7. I heard four songs live that I had never heard live before
Dave Matthews Band
July 22, 2009
Nikon at Jones Beach Theater (Jones Beach State Park), Wantagh, NY
Pantala Naga Pampa »
One Sweet World
Why I Am
Crash Into Me (Dixie Chicken Outro)
Jimi Thing (Sexy MF Outro)
Funny the Way It Is
Shake Me Like a Monkey
You & Me
Time Bomb »
Anyone Seen the Bridge »
Too Much [fake] »
1. Carter drum solo on Two Step followed by the new ending. Try to ignore the moron camera man and his friends.
Carter’s solo is about 3 mins then it’s standard until 5:15 when the newer ending starts.
2. Boyd during Tripping Billies
3. Boyd during Dancing Nancies
4. Crowd singing Jimi Thing
5. Dave’s weird dance during Jimi Thing
6. Sexy MF outro to Jimi Thing